Having a roof over your head is a necessity, and there probably isn’t anyone who would disagree with it. Unlike any other job, to be a full-time roofer, you not only need adequate training but also toughness. It is a physically and mentally demanding job and one where you are always at risk.
Here are some insights that would help you understand the actual conditions and risks that roofers work with every day –
- There is never a time in roofing when you are not at risk of falling. Roofers have to work in dangerous conditions with multiple types of equipment and even expert commercial roofing contractors in Houston, TX work with their life at stake. It is this vulnerability that has made roofing one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. If you have a roofing problem, it is always better to hire the best roofers in Houston rather than attempt anything yourself.
- Roofs are the area of a house that remains untouched until a problem arises. Even ideal roofing in Houston requires upkeep every now and then. This is why whenever roofers get to work, there are often complex and time-taking issues involved in the task. The diagnostic work is such that if you are not aware, you can easily trip and fall.
- Even though a lot of people do not know about it, depth perception is a real issue in jobs like roofing. This can very easily incapacitate people working on your roof and hamper the job. In the worst cases, people can slip and fall, and lose their life.
By now, you’d be convinced that roofing work is not for the faint of heart. The best roofers in Houston risk their lives on a daily basis to simply get a day’s work done. While it may take some time for society and the law to recognize their plight, here are some safety tips that everyone involved in roofing can bear in mind to keep themselves safe-
- Appropriate clothing- The first and the most important thing is that you wear clothing that is loose and comfortable, but of course, does not come in the way of your work. Shoes, or boots that are easy on the foot and would give you a good grip are a must. To protect your hands, also have a pair of leather gloves handy. In addition, a safety helmet would make your work uniform complete and fully functional. The right gear will ensure that you are at your safest and do not fall for any potential hazards. Consider this the first layer of protection.
- The safety harness is a must- While a harness might seem like an uncomfortable thing to have around you all the time, it can potentially be the difference between life or death should an accident occur. Safety harnesses are especially used by commercial roofing contractors in Houston, TX as their work includes roofing of high rise buildings.
- Avoid bad weather- While to others, windy or rainy weather is a period of enjoyment, do not try to take dangerous jobs around this time. Wet leaves, water puddles, slippery surfaces, etc. are quite prevalent in such weather and can lead to avoidable injuries. Working in such conditions is extremely dangerous and should be avoided as much as possible.
- Ladder maintenance- The ladder is a roofer’s best friend and the most important part of his toolbox. The best roofers in Houston regularly inspect their ladders and steps and make sure that it is as sturdy as possible. On the field, even missing a single step could be extremely dangerous and thus, a lot depends on it. High rise ladders are to especially be checked every now and then.
- Cleanliness is a must- By this cleanliness, it is meant that you should absolutely keep your work site clean. The working site must be kept clean and free of any debris or objects. Trash, loose nails, etc. are only some of the things that can come in play and harm you while working.
- No distractions- While it is true that the view from where you are working might definitely be amazing, it is important to stay focused on the work. Any distractions can lead you to slip, or cause vertigo very soon and lead to a debilitating accident.
- Afraid of heights?- If you are afraid of heights, do not even attempt such work. This is not the right way to conquer your fear. Roofers have a constant risk of falling and getting hurt, and over 30% of falls are fatal.
Home improvement is essential and roofing is a vital aspect of it. Whether you want to lay down a new roof or want repairs, it is crucial that you only hire the best roofers in Houston as genuine service providers will make sure to prioritize your work. With experts on the job, the accidents could also be avoided and you can be rest assured of a job well done.